Mr. Somenath Mukherjee is an eminent name in the field of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology. He completed his Bachelor in the field of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology (BASR) from Calcutta University and Masters in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology (MASLP) from West Bengal University of Health Sciences. He had also worked as a co-researcher in research works with Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) and Calcutta University (Applied Psychology Department). He is also a guest lecturer at different academic programmes of the University of Calcutta (CU), Psychology Department.
Mukherjee started his career as a Speech-Language Pathologist in 2004, and since then, he has treated many complicated cases. He has also successfully treated many of the celebrities in Kolkata, who had some kinds of speech or voice problems. As a practitioner he was quite successful and popular as a speech language pathologist among speech and hearing impaired patients. He was always very creative and innovative by nature and he always had a dream of starting his own venture.
The reason was that he felt this class of patient was basically treated badly and misguided by quacks. His unique entrepreneurship strategies attracted Matrix Partners to invest INR 25 Crore in 2014 for expansion of his venture pan India.
1) He has worked as a Consultant Speech Pathologist in various hospitals in Kolkata, including Woodlands hospital, Bellview Clinic, Peerless Hospital, Columbia Asia and Apollo Hospitals.
2) He has given more than 80,000 speech therapy sessions to different patients.
3) He is the founder of the renowned Hearing Plus and Speech Plus brands.
4) He is one of the mentors for healthcare start-ups in IIM Innovation Park.
5) He is an eminent speaker in different forums like CII, IIM, Indian Speech and Hearing Association, Bengal Chamber of Commerce, TIE, etc.
6) He is has received good fame by successfully treating many celebrities and sports personalities, like Soumitra Chatterjee, Kapil Dev, Padma Bhushan Pandit, Ajoy Chakraborty,
Singer Lopamudra Mitra, Singer Kaushiki Chakraborty, Singer Partha Desikan, Singer Shilajit and many more.
7) He has worked on many research projects and has many publications as well.
8) He has given many educational lectures in several UGC-recognised seminars and also RCI-recognised CRE programs.
9) He almost mentored and taught a group of Speech Pathologists in Kolkata, who now uses his invented technique to treat swallowing and stroke patients and also in autism and pragmatic language impairment. Additionally, many of his juniors and fellow colleagues are well-known names in the field of Speech Therapy.
10) He was the spokesperson in several National level workshops on ‘Autism’.
11) He has developed certain swallowing therapy techniques in indiginious methods, which help patients to recover much faster.
12) He has developed a voice modulation program, which cures a person with vocal nodules in 4 to 6 sittings.
13) He usually solves unilateral vocal cord palsy and paralysis cases in 8 to 10 sittings with 100% result.
14) The Bengali movie, Kontho, is a true story of one of his patients, Dr. Abhijit Banerjee, in which case, he effectively made him talk.
15) He was one of the key members of the technical team in Kontho and he trained Jaya Ashan for the role of the speech therapist.
16) Till date, he solved stuttering problems in more than 500 cases, where he helped the stutterer to reduce the dysfluency by 80%.
17) Many of his juniors and colleagues take his advice for many difficult cases. He heads the team of speech therapists at Speech Plus and mostly chairs its medical board for solving most of the complicated cases.
18) He is well-known for his short and effective treatment within the given deadline.
19) He is a great communicator who taught corporate people how to improve their speech and communication skills, together with the help of pragmatic skills.
20) He is a master in group therapy techniques, especially for stuttering.
21) He is well-known in the industry for his vast knowledge of speech pathology along with good entrepreneurial skills.
22) He is one of the team members in the Applied Psychology Unit of Raja Bazar Science College, where they developed a test battery to identify learning disability in early childhood.
23) He is one of the MDT team members in Apollo Gleneagles Hospital for treatment of autism and language disorders.
24) He developed his own bedside swallow test protocol on the theory of evidence-based practice, which has been used by a group of speech therapists in Kolkata.
Under Somenath Mukherjee’s leadership, Bengal Speech and Hearing bagged the following prestigious awards –
- Economic Times Bengal Corporate Award (Fastest Growing Company) – 2015
- Economic Times Bengal Corporate Award (Highest Job Creator) – 2015
- The Bengal Entrepreneurship Recognition (First Runner Up) – 2015
- TIECON Award – 2015 Success story of the year award
- BCCI (Entrepreneurship Recognition) – 2015
- The Telegraph Infocom SME Award – 2014
- Frost and Sullivan 7th Annual India Healthcare Excellence Awards – 2015 Audiology Service Provider Company of the Year
- Genius HR Excellence Award – 2016
- Prime Time Global Healthcare Excellence Award – 2014
Somenath Mukherjee has worked and contributed to several researches and projects. He also has numerous national and international journal article publications under his name:
- Mean Length of utterances & syntactic performance of normal & children with hearing impairment, studying in regular school (to be published at the Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education)
- Presented lectures as a part of the MDT team at the workshop on Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) through AAF and Skill Sprout of New Jersey, USA at Apollo Gleneagles Hospital, Kolkata in 2011
- Presented lectures as a part of MDT team on ‘Feeding Difficulties – Role of MDT’ at the scientific workshop on “Nutrition and Behavior in Pediatric Practice” at Apollo Gleneagles Hospital, Kolkata in 2011
- Participated in Project Undertaken by Applied Statistics Unit, Indian Statistical Institute named ‘The Effect of Traffic Noise on the Hearing Ability of the School Students of Kolkata’
- He (and other members at BSHPL), in collaboration with Pollution Control Board, Kolkata, is working on two projects viz. ‘Effect of Traffic Noise on Traffic Police in Kolkata’ and ‘Effect of Traffic Noise on Heavy Vehicle drivers’.
- Development of a Battery to Assess Perceptual-Motor, Cognition, Language, and Scholastic Skills among Bengali Children with Neuro Developmental Disorders (Indian J Psychol Med)